Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Air National Guard

I work with a guy who is in the National Guard. His enlistment is up in 3 months and he is going to re-enlist into the Air National Guard. We spoke for some time discussing the possibilities and I became somewhat intrigued. I did a little research (again) into the Guard. Considering the fact that I already have an Associate's Degree, Bachelor's degree and nearly 250 hours of flight time I thought that I may qualify to get into some kind of flight job with the Guard.

I spoke to a recruiter and yep, sure enough I'm too old. Yes people I am too old to fly planes apparently. One foot in the grave you might say. I was a little disappointed to be turned down flat like that, but I guess that's not the avenue for me. I'm still waiting to find out I have some rich relative somewhere who wants to pay for the rest of my flight training. If anyone reading this is rich, you DON'T have to be my relative to donate! I'm not that particular.

Well, things are kind of stagnant at the moment. I've been pushed around and ignored by my current flight school. I am in the process of pursuing some type of reconciliation. I have a member of the State Board of Regents on my side, so hopefully SOMETHING will come of it.

I miss the music I was involved with teaching. I miss my students, but as a whole I don't miss teaching. There are a lot of "behind the scenes" things in teaching that outweighed the joys for me.

If any of my former students are reading this, let me say "Hello" and "the metronome is your FRIEND." I still practice my violin, and the piano. I actually just did two gigs a couple of weeks ago. So I'm still involved somewhat. If anyone reading this is still in orchestra or choir please leave a comment. Let me know when your concerts are. Let me know if you need someone to come to Lagoon day with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Findlay!
Firstly let me say, thank you for POUNDING counting in my head. It has helped so much. I will be sure to let you know when my conserts are even though i moved to Pleasant Grove. Mr. Beck is now my teacher (the one you go way back with). He reminds me of you only he is a spaztic tall lankey man who talks alot, but he teaches well. Talk to you later! You're the best!
love, emily d.