Thursday, November 13, 2008

I can't take this anymore

Let me preface this post with a disclaimer. I am very upset. There, now my conscience will be clear.

Since I began my multi-engine rating endeavors I have been through 4 instructors, 3 price hikes, and a multitude of _____ (fill in your own explicative). The latest in a long line of garbage is that I am being pushed back on my checkride because my instructor wants to do some long cross country flights with his NEW instrument students. Regardless of whether or not anyone else agrees with me, I feel cheated. I have been trying to finish this rating since July 2007. I have been pushed off, blown off, ignored, shunned, stiffed, etc. since I began.

The first incident occurred when I started and was told that I couldn't start until the Fall because there were too many other students trying to finish (how ironic). Next came the price hike from $150/hour plus instruction to $170/hour. Then my multi-engine instructor was hired with Mesaba Airlines. Good for him, bad for me. After he left I went through three more instructors and then back one. Next came another price hike to $185/hour followed by another at $195/hour. Since my first instructor left, I have been almost continuosly pushed off. All of the preceeding occurences listed above were interspersed with intermittent lessons, and a failed checkride because the required QRH (quick reference handbook) failed to contain the essential chapter that was the whole reason for its creation. And I cannot forget to mention that during my required cross country flights there was NO instructing going on. Why on earth do I pay $38/hour to an instructor who just sits in the plane?!

And now I'm stuck. I could try to find another instructor, or even another flight school but then I would have to start from the beginning again. So unless some person just shows up at my door and offers me a significant amount of money I'm pretty much stuck where I am.

If any of you read this whole post you must be really bored. I just needed to vent. I'll be sure to post soon to inform my 3 readers of what's going to happen next.

4 comments:

SydneyH. said...

:( i'm sorry mr findlay! you can always come back to south hills! =D and i'm sure everything will work out! always remember ORCHESTRA LOVES YOU! =D and god never gives us any tests he knows we cannot pass.. i heard that at church... =D well... ttyl!

Anonymous said...

Have you heard of the Mesa Flight Program. I know a few people who went to that program and are now flying for Mesa Airlines. They have a program called PACE that you may be interested in. Upon completion of your training you have an interview with Mesa Airlines. Its a really great program. Hope this helps in considering some alternative options. lol...sorry that sounded like a sales pitch for the program. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you. Below is the website.
http://www.flightcareers.com/aboutprogram.htm

May Girl said...

I'm sorry Mr. Findlay. I wish you the best. But on the off chance you can't get a job as a pilot (Which you probably will, just wait...) Remember your dream: To see an orchestra playing perfectly in tune and moving together as one. We miss you so much at Riverton! The teacher sucks, she can't teach. I'm very tempted to transfer out.

Good luck!

Chelsea said...

Sorry to hear that's all going badly! I hope everything works out. I liked Sydney's comment and I have to agree, and I heard another quote in seminary that I liked: "In the end, everything will be okay. If everything is not okay, it is not the end."
Can't remember who said it, but I liked it.
Good luck with flight school, etc! We miss you at Riverton but life is all right besides. Kelsey, Megan, Laci, and I are playing the Brandenburg 3 for our Ensemble festival - we're really excited, though we're still trying to get our hands on the original music. The music we have at the moment is an arrangement, and - well it's not the same.
Anyway I'm done rambling - Talk to you later! and again, good luck with everything!