Friday, October 31, 2008

Airlines I am considering

It's a little early for me to be counting my chickens... and early to put any of my eggs into any basket...but cliches aside, I am looking at a few regional and national airlines. Allow me to delineate my choices below.

1. SkyWest

This is a no-brainer. If I could get on with them and get SLC as my hub it wouldn't matter that I might be on reserve for a year or more. The fact that SkyWest is also replacing several of their
EMB120 Brasilias (see photo) for the 90 seat CRJ 900 (see photo) is also a very attractive proposition.

2. Go Jet

Although this airline is based out of St. Lous and only flies from there and Chicago it is still very enticing. The company offers an hour match program up to 1000 hours toward upgrading to captain. Their upgrade mins are 3500 TT and 1000 PIC Turbine. Their pay is competetive and the most junior captain was hired in February of this year. They also only fly the CRJ 700 (see photo) which makes me drool a bit...

3. Mesaba

This is an airline that my first multi-engine instructor works for. They are upgrading all of their SF340s (see photo) for CRJs 700 & 900. Although it's cold up there in Minnesota, the affiliation with Northwest (soon to be Delta) makes them very attractive.

4. Corporate Operations

Although I haven't spoken to anyone who is hiring, I do have a couple of connections to corporate pilots who fly a Citation Bravo (see photo) and a CJ3 (see photo) respectively. This job market is very much "be in the right place at the right time."

There aren't many opportunities out there right now when you consider that I don't have many hours. I am hoping to find SOMETHING to help me build some time. Although I would really love to get my CFI, CFII and MEI ratings that will take an additional financial investment that I am incapable of making. All in all however, I think that the job market is picking up and there is still a great demand for pilots.

What do you think?

6 comments:

SydneyH. said...

i think its flippin awesome blossum! lol i dont know how to spell that.. =D p.s. thanks for coming to our concert! sorry it sucked!

Shannon said...

Jason - my brother-in-law's name is Dustin Ivory. His e-mail is dustinivory@msn.com. I'm sure if you contacted him, he would give you some tips on getting on with one of the airlines. I'll send him an e-mail to let him know you may be contacting him. So ah, I guess I'll make like a tree and get out of here.

SydneyH. said...

=D yes i am still practicing.. with a metronome... and i am in private lessons... =D and i'm trying out for a concert next month! =D its great.!
We all LOVED seeing you! ( you could tell by all the girlys cryin!(including me!)) we miss you!

May Girl said...

Geeze, Mr. Findlay, you should have come to our concert. Oh, well. It wasn't that good. Hey, I have a question: Who is the composer of Danza. I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it.

Jason Findlay said...

Vaclav Nelhybel

May Girl said...

Oh, Thank you so much! I think we might do that for our solo/ensemble thingy in orchestra. Cool. Thanks.