Tuesday, October 28, 2008

President and Sister Uchtdorf



I had the distinct privilege of attending a short lecture presented by Dieter F. Uchtdorf. He spoke of his career as a pilot starting with 6 years in the German armed forces and then another 30 years with Lufthansa. My wife Michelle and I sat on the front row with our 5 week old daughter Natalie (for details on Natalie see the family blog http://thefindlayfamily.blogspot.com).

One of the stories President Uchtdorf told was of his tour of Air Force One. He explained that the cockpit of Air Force One was very similar to the 747s he was flying out of Frankfurt. He sat in the left seat, adjusted the seat and put his hand instinctively on the thrust levers. President Monson who was standing behind him put his hand on President Uchdorf's shoulder and said "don't."

It was a wonderful experience all around. After the event, President Uchtdorf shook hands with some people including my wife and I. And I would like to point out that he and his wife both said that Natalie was cute. There you have it.

As a side note, please notice the model of the Diamond DA42 in President Uchtdorf's hand matches the real DA42 to the right of the stage.

4 comments:

May Girl said...

Hey, I saw that on the news!

Chelsea said...

Hey, Mr. Findlay! You finally updated, hooray!
It's so neat that you're almost done with all the preparation to get that Commercial Pilot certificate. (I'm still worried about passing my driving test, haha... I'm so close to getting my license!)
Well, Orchestra (as you've probably heard) is pretty much no fun without you. Whenever we can tell we're not doing the greatest job, the Orch 3 kids all turn to each other and say, "That sounded like cold oatmeal." It's probably our favorite thing to say.
Anyway. Long comment. I'm done.

SydneyH. said...

MR.FINDLAY!!!!!! thanks for coming!!!!!!!!! but now i miss you more!
syd

rjv_piper said...

I think everyone souded like cold oatmeal today... It was depressing... the band was amazing. Mr. Findlay! I miss your crazy jokes that nobody understood! :)
Robyn.