Monday, August 10, 2009

The airport









Did you know that Salt Lake International Airport (SLC) is the number one airport in the country for on time arrivals/departures. Yes people, we should be proud! I had the opportunity as recently as earlier today to go up to the airport and drop off my sister-in-law and her family. What a treat it is to be in the immediate vicinity of such amazing aircraft.

Mark my words people, I WILL be the captain of a Boeing 787 one day. For those of you who don't know the significance of that last statement, allow me to enlighten you. The Boeing 787 is the latest in modern technology for commercial airliners. It's composite construction, new engines, unique nacelle design, and impressive (redesigned) passenger cabin are among the improvements coming with the 787. The part that interests me the most of course is the cockpit.

All you have to do is look at it to understand what I mean. I won't go into details about what makes it so great, but I will say that the technology that is becoming increasingly available for all aircraft (small as well) is monumentally increasing safety and situational awareness. I can't imagine how those guys flew back in the 60s and 70s with just the standard 6 pack, a few VOR receivers and NDB.

What do you think? Wouldn't you enjoy being seated in such an ergonomic passenger-friendly environment?

4 comments:

Daisygirl said...

Why yes Captain Findlay I would....that cabin looks fabulous~ I can't believe nobody else has commented on your blog before...Im so glad I could be the first!
What does it take to get to fly one of these new cool planes? Do you have to start with a crappy economy one and work your way up or can you just say this is what I am flying?
Very exciting oh and ya I was bored and read your facebook comment so I then was bored enough to check out your blog.;)

Camilla said...

wow i hope someday we are rich enough to fly in such style! ( hey hope we are rich enough to just fly southwest with all the kids instead of driving all the way home to slc!) My husband is an ATC now ( well technically he is a developmental still) but him going into that field has given me a lot more insight and apretiation for pilots and the aviation industry! I hope you get your dreams and get to fly that one day!

and yes i saw your post on facebook and was bored enough to come over!

steph said...

Hi Jason.... it's Dan's cuz Steph... remember me? I cheated and got to your site from Dan & Melissa's blog... As to the B787... I'll be working in the back just as soon as AA get's it... (can't wait!) I don't know if Dan or Melissa told you, but I've been a flight attendant w/ AA for just over 11 years now... (yep, just had my anniversary) So... I know MANY people in the aviation industry... All different walks of life... so let me know if you have any questions or who you'd like to get in touch with... I hope all is well! Your family is beautiful!!! Take care!

sanjeet said...

.Im so glad I could be the first!
post free classified ads