Tuesday, September 22, 2009

So close...yet so far away.

That's right, by the book I'm finished with my commercial multi-engine instrument pilot certificate. There's just one small hang up...the examination. Had I the money at the time and a decent instructor, I could have finished months ago. I have all of the required time. I am comfortable with all of the systems of the DA42 and am excited at the prospect of finishing.

Well, as rosy as that all sounded I haven't been in a cockpit for nearly 6 months. So I'll have to spend some time getting my chops back up. Cockpit time is ten times more valuable than car time. If you went 10 days without driving it's no big deal, you still remember how to drive and can do it well. If you went 10 days without flying it's like going 100 days without driving. You'd still be pretty good at it and things would come back to you, but you'd have to drive a bit to get used to it again. So now imagine going 6 months (approximately 180 days) without flying. That's like going 1,800 days without driving which is the equivalent of 5 years. Imagine how good you'd be driving then!

So, as an update to my adventures on my way to flying professionally, I'm still working hard at paying the bills, but don't have any excess money to pay for flight time (approx. $250/hour). But I know it will all work out in the end. I really prefer having a picture in every post so the one displayed here is a beautiful aircraft known as the Embraer E175.

2 comments:

Daisygirl said...

Congratulations! Holy crap that is expensive!!! Why is it so expensive? Serious wowza!
When do you think you'll do the exam? Do you have to take it all at once or in pieces? Lots of questions I know.
It is very exciting, Im sorry that it isn't going by faster for you but things have a way of working out and before you know it you'll be flying the friendly skies! :)Jen

Unknown said...

I wish I could fly like Peter Pan. But I'd have to find a happy thought....=) Good luck Jason. I know you will find success if you keep doing your best.